Out of more than 1,500 pubs from 41 countries, Melbourne's The Drunken Poet was voted into the 10 Best Irish Pubs In The World (Outside Ireland) by The Irish Times... the only venue in Australia to make the list!
As our reviews will tell you, The Drunken Poet is a real locals' pub: cute, cozy and friendly. That's what makes it authentically Irish - it's not a twee or clichéd theme-pub... we have portraits of poets from Ireland and around the world on our walls, we serve great Guinness, and we have one of the finest selections of Irish whiskey in Australia.
The Drunken Poet is one of Melbourne's best and most unique live music venues, hosting local/interstate original artists five nights a week, including our popular weekly Wine, Whiskey, Women events and Traditional Irish Music Sessions.
Our food offerings are simple and tasty - toasted sandwiches and pickled onions with Cheddar (plus bags of Taytos for a nibble)
- Where is The Drunken Poet located?
- We are located at 65 Peel St, West Melbourne (near the markets). There's a map on our contact page.
- What events are coming up?
- You can check out all our upcoming events here, or by checking our facebook page.
- Do you serve food?
- We reckon the best toasted sandwiches in town! If you want a 'meal', you're more than welcome to bring in food from the many local restaurants, or from the Queen Victoria Markets right accross the road...
- Do you have TV screens?
- No thank you! Music and laughter only.
- Is The Drunken Poet female-friendly?
- The Poet is owned and run by a woman. Most of the staff are women and we have our very popular female-only performer night 'Wine Whiskey, Women' every Wednesday. So, yes. But we're friendly to everyone, full stop!
- How good is the Guinness?
- You've told us it's the best! We also have guest beers and a grand selection of 'boutique' bottled beers and Cider of course. The Whiskey collection ain't half bad too! Check out our drinks list here
- I'm a solo musician/band. How can I play The Drunken Poet?
- Email The Drunken Poet via the Contact page with some information about yourself, the URL of your website or somewhere we can check you out. Don't forget to include your phone number.
- What's the production spec?
- We have a Mackie ProFX12 running to 2 Turbosound speakers. We have 4 x SM58 microphones.